Dog biscuit recipes are especially simple if you use a biscuit mix. All you have to do is add water and vegetable oil and mix it up. You don’t have to worry about putting in the right amount of ingredients to make a dough because that step has already been done for you.
The biscuit mix that professional dog bakeries use comes in flavors including vanilla, carob and cheddar cheese. It also comes in a plain base mix to which you can add your own desired flavors or ingredients.
The ingredients include flour, oats, powdered honey and baking powder.
Whole wheat flour is a healthy flour often found in dog products. Made from the whole wheat grain, it is in the state found in nature.
Powdered honey is a healthy sugar substitute. Honey itself is a natural form of sugar and contributes to the browning, moistness, and crispiness of the dog biscuit treats after baking.
Here are some easy homemade dog treats recipes using a biscuit mix.
Cheese Dog Biscuits
What you need:
- 1 package Cheddar Cheese biscuit mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the mix with the water and oil. It will be stiff and dry.
- If too dry, and not holding together, stir in a little more water.
- Roll out the dough and use cookie cutters for desired shapes.
- Place cut shapes onto a non-stick baking surface or a surface that has been coated with a non-stick baking spray or parchment paper.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes on the middle rack of the oven.
- Leave finished biscuits in the oven for another 60 minutes to let them dry and harden.
If you would rather not take the time to roll out the dough and cut out shapes, the silicone pan featured below works beautifully. Just put your dough into the wells and bake. You do not even need to grease the pan.