Make a smores cake for dogs!
Smores are marshmallow treats well-known by campers. A marshmallow is roasted on the campfire, then placed between two squares of chocolate and sandwiched between two graham crackers.
We have created a dog-friendly version of this yummy dessert.
Dogs cannot metabolize chocolate so we substitute natural
carob powder, which simulates the color of cocoa powder. Dogs will not know that it tastes a little different from chocolate! Real natural carob powder is a healthy alternative to carob chips and can be found at a dog bakery supplies store like K9Cakery.com.
We use a small amount of miniature marshmallows for these dog cake recipes.
The complete quick and easy dog treat recipe including ingredients and instructions is written out for you below.
Watch The Frosting Guy prepare a smores cake for dogs in this video
Items you will need:
- 1 silicone bone-shaped cake pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Whisk or mixing spoon
- Measuring cup (1 cup size)
- Measuring spoons
(Editor’s Note: If you would like to make paw print dog cakes instead, use a paw silicone baking pan to make individual dog birthday cakes.)
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 package All-Natural Cake and Biscuit Mix for Dogs
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup natural carob powder
- 1 cup finely ground honey graham crackers
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the silicone cake pan.
- Stir dog cake mix, water, oil, and egg, until well blended.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with the crumbled graham cracker.
- Pour the mix into the pan over the crumbled graham crackers.
- Add the carob powder to the cake mix. Stir well by hand.
- Fold in the mini marshmallows to the mix.
- Pour the mix into the bone-shaped pan.
- Sprinkle any remaining crumbled graham cracker over the top.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool before removing it from the pan.
You can make microwave dog treats too. Omit the egg to modify the recipe for the microwave and pour the mix directly into a silicone dog cake pan or other microwave-safe containers.
To complete the smores cake for dogs, mix Magifrost dog cake frosting according to the directions.
If you want to color it, add your icing color in, then stir until smooth and creamy.
Add sprinkles on top if you desire. Then, let the frosting dry completely. It will dry hard and will not need to be refrigerated.
Click here for more dog cake recipes.